I’m very proud of this one, all things considered. It has a very realistic seeming weight, it has a lovely little rattle-y metal-y sound when ya fling it around, and best of all, its actually made of metal!
The whole build all in all cost roughly $25, and is pretty much just a drainpipe, and pipe extension, a bunch of electrical tape, and some cardboard from the drainpipe’s packaging to cover the pommel and the drainpipe branch. Basically these are the steps I took to put this together:
- Take the drainpipe and wrap electrical tape around the top and bottom of the bare pipe section of it until there’s enough for it to fit snugly into the pipe extension.
- Insert the drainpipe into the end of the pipe extension that doesn’t have a washer on it.
- Wrap tape around the top of the pipe extension with it stops on the drainpipe so that the pipe extension won’t wobble
- Unscrew the washer from the pipe extension, cut out a rough cardboard circle from the packaging and place it in the washer, then screw the washer back on to the pipe
- repeat step four with the smaller washer on the drainpipe.
- Wrap electrical tape around the base of the pipe extension just above the washer.
- Wrap electrical tape around the exterior screw section where the brass washer and the rubber washer are so the brass bit won’t unscrew itself. Its that brass bit that makes the rattle sound.
And boom, your done! I really wasn’t expecting this to turn out so well, but I’m so glad it did, saved me from wasting $150. If you want a metal saber hilt for cheap I highly recommend using this method.
Thanks for checking out my shit!
(P.S. the pictures have individual captions with tidbits on the prop.)